Thursday 31 December 2020

Happy New Year or Happy Birthday Georgette

I still cannot remember who gave me the tip at RSG, but l recall l had to see her for the way forward. As it was, l had left RSG as Munks didn't think l had to be paid for 3 months of work. I had a family to feed, though l had just finished my undergraduate Programme, and also, I knew my worth, and wouldn't let Munks add me to his modern day slaves. So l quit RSG, and left the field. Technically Munks still owes me 3 months of work. I still haven't been paid for those months at Akorekeri on the RandGold Project.
I was narrating the story to someone who sided with me and said, don't mind Munks, go and see Georgette. Who is she and where can l find her? I asked. "Go to Birim Goldfields and look for Mike or Georgette".

So l went to Birim Goldfields. I was a walking distance. I met Mike. Mike said he wasn't in charge of HR. So Georgette was the best person, and he pointed to her office. I had my CV in hand so l entered her office. A very huge dog the size of an adult pig welcomed me. I was afraid it. "Don't worry, she is friendly." Georgette said and walked passed it as she ordered her to go to the corner of the room. The dog obliged with absolute obedience. 
Georgette wore a snow white blouse made of quality cotton and a gray short khaki shorts. Yes, she was at work! For a moment l forgot l was in an office till l heard "Yes, how can l hep you", as she finds her way to her desk. Her eyes were strong and popping, and she maintained an enquiring impatient gaze. 
Between the dog, and my thoughts and her questions, l was disarmed. I hadn't even rehearsed what l was going to say. I mumbled something and paused, and then swallowed saliva. I didn't know my throat was that patched. I blinked quickly and continously, as l shook my head from left to right firmly and forced the last thick saliva down my throat. It sounded like l was clearing my throat. I started afresh. I told her my name, and that I was a fresh graduate and was checking in if they had any openings, or if not, l will drop in my CV. Her hand was already up, and I extended the envelope containing my CV to her. She took it, and placed it on the right edge of her table. I stood there for a second and she said "That's it". 
"Anything else"? She asked. "No" I responded. It wasn't communicated, but I got the non-verbal message clearly, that l had to leave, and so did I. 
That was how I met Georgette. That was my very first encounter. 

A month later, l received a call from Georgette. She sounded a billion times cheerful and excited about something. After confirming that l was the one who dropped my CV a month ago and exchanging pleasantries, she said she had some good news for me. She said it wasn't my typical field work, but it was still in the industry. It was more of sales and administration, basically business development with a lot of communications and correspondence. I immediately recalled my days as the President of the Geology Students' Association and knew that that experience was going to be handy. She sounded like she was worried whether l will like it. In effect, she was selling the product to me. So l saved her the trouble. I said l was game when she said it was a South African company making expanding into Ghana with the sale and manufacturing of Geological Assessories. It was Corstor. 
What a coincidence. Ten months earlier, I attended a mining treat show, and met Dennis Blewett of Corstor. I was planning to buy some Compasses for the Department of Geology as our legacy as a student association from Dennis. Unfortunately, Corstor South Africa couldn't give us rebates. So l made the purchase via my cousin in the US. But  through that encounter, Dennis and I established a relationship. So you can imagine my excitement when Georgette mentioned Corstor. I already knew Corstor and that added to my appeal. 

The following week after her phone call, I was back in her office. My assignment was to start an office for Corstor at Osu. I was to hold the fort till Georgette resigns from Birim and joins me. She was the substantive Country Manager of Corstor. 
There I was. I had an office to myself. My responsibilities were myriads. Warehouse management, invoicing, customer service, business development, Office Administration, communications, start ups, and what have you. It was exciting. I reported directly to Georgette, replied to emails in Australia and South Africa for months till Georgette had to resign honorably from Birim by satisfying the agreed condition for termination.

She joined later and we developed the business in Ghana. Later l wanted field experience and left Corstor. 

Fast forward to 5 years later. 
The industry had suffered a downturn. Georgette was still in touch with all the professionals she had worked with. She had a idea and nurtured it. It was to stay in touch with the people she worked with. She got like-minded friends on board and that idea became the Accra Mining Network.

Subsequently, in 2015, she proceeded to using that as a blue print to forming Women In Mining Ghana. In 2019 she became the President of the Association of Women In Mining Africa last year. 

Please join me in celebrating the birthday of 

Dr. Mrs. Georgette Barnes Sakyi-Addo.
* Co-founder of Accra Mining Network 
* Founder of Women In Mining Ghana
* President of AWIMA
* Executive Director at Georgette Barnes Ltd. 

Every 31st of December, she celebrates her birthday which ushers her into the new year. Whether it is a birthday or a new year, one cannot really tell. 
But I say, Happy Birthday Madam, may this day commence yet another fulfilling milestone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year or Happy Birthday Georgette

I still cannot remember who gave me the tip at RSG, but l recall l had to see her for the way forward. As it was, l had left RSG...